First Drafts is a collaborative blog aimed at providing writers with a place to share their work on any subject they like.

(Near-) daily writing prompts are emailed to you to provide guidance or inspiration.

To sign up to First Drafts and to start receiving the writing prompts click here.

For previous writing prompts click here to visit the archives and choose any subject that inspires.

The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Word play

Since there's been no activity on here in months, I thought I'd shake things up a bit. This is actually posted on both my blogs. Warning, there is some language here.

So...anyone else still out there?


I've been thinking a lot lately about language. Mine, in particular. To be more specific, my use of "foul" language.

See, The Man (i.e. "the man in my life") and I have decided to make a conscious effort to clean up our language. We both cuss too much. He was in a conversation with a coworker a few days ago who commented on the incredibly foul language of another colleague (let's just, it would make a sailor blush). She pointed out that he does cuss, not as often the others they work with, and he almost always checks her (the colleague he was talking to) reaction. She doesn't like the language at all. It pushed him to do something about his own habit.

I've spent a good few months feeling guilty lately when I cuss around him. A random "damn" or "hell" has never bothered me, but I know I've gotten comfortable and that's not all I'm saying anymore.

I will admit that sometimes, there just aren't other words--either for emphasis or intensity. I mean, come on, when I fell a few weeks ago and nearly broke my tailbone, saying "shoot" just didn't do the pain justice. And I've always thought you should say what you mean (and mean what you say, of course.) I've even been known to use the "f" word for shock value, or to make sure I'm getting the attention I'm needing from the person I'm talking to.
A friend of mine said that swearing wasn't banned in his household. However there was a rule about the use of certain 4-letter words. You couldn't use them just 'cuz. You had to be creative in your use. In my house, creative use or not, you got punished. But we're all different.

I know I need to curb my mouth. Does that mean language will disappear from my writing? Not all. Some words just can't be replaced, specifically because of the implications to writing.

I mean, really--would "fudge" really replace "fuck?" I think not.

Comments on "Word play"

 

Blogger Wiz said ... (5:54 AM) : 

Yes, you certainly can't replace the "f" word. But when you have children around, adults tend to be creative like my husband would replace bas.... with basketball betul la, and sh.. with shoot and etc. It does take out the satisfaction of saying it but I guess it has to be done, well at least until the kids are old enough, like 40 years old or something, he he he. Thanks for dropping by too. I ended up finishing the lepat labu and got to know I'm not supposed to eat labu coz it makes me asthmatic, oops too late.
wiz wheezing away.

 

Blogger ell said ... (3:12 PM) : 

Have you seen the TV show Battlestar Galactica (the current one, not the old seventies series)? They replaced the "F" word with "frack"

-- As in "get the frack out of my way" or "don't you frackin' dare!"

I guess they needed something to convey what the characters would realistically say.

If they used the actual F-word as many times as they use frack, they'd have been taken off the air long ago. Instead, it's an amazingly effective non-use of the F-word. :-D

Glad to see someone posting here.

 

Blogger nietzschean-ghost said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Hey Patry,

Can I get a copy of your novel in Ireland? I hope it goes really well for you.

P.S. The Battlestar Galactia replace of the F-word is over used and tired.

Rob

 

post a comment