First Drafts is a collaborative blog aimed at providing writers with a place to share their work on any subject they like.

(Near-) daily writing prompts are emailed to you to provide guidance or inspiration.

To sign up to First Drafts and to start receiving the writing prompts click here.

For previous writing prompts click here to visit the archives and choose any subject that inspires.

The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Shiny Happy People

Lunch was just finishing up for the two little mouths in front of me.
I absentmindedly wiped a washcloth over both their faces and proceeded to clean the plastic trays of their high chairs.
The t.v. was on, but I hadn't noticed it until Sesame Street started.
The kids had no time for the show on prior to Big Bird and 'Snupalupalupagus' and so lunch continued every day without distraction.
These children, precious twins, a boy and a girl, ate anything.
Today was steamed spinach day... to which I would dig out a frozen entree as the thought of eating slimey leaves didn't sit well.
I unleashed the children from their seats, and they ran to the large area rug in the living room immediately breaking into dance.
Their tiny hands waved about as they bobbed up and down enthralled by 'Monster Time'.
I finished cleaning the kitchen up, able to watch the little ones from where I cleaned, and then came to join them on the carpet.
"Dance too! Dance too Monkey!" Milo screamed.
"Monkey" was the nickname the two had come up with for me, thanks to my very convincing ape impersonation. It was shorter and more familiar than my first name, and much better than being called 'Nanny' by two year olds.
The three of us continued watching as colourful puppets talked of being a friend, Oscar grouched and Elmo explored new activities. I used to watch this show as a child, I think everyone did, and it really hadn't changed all that much in 20 years.
R.E.M. suddenly appeared on screen, I watched in disbelief as they were quickly surrounded by 'back up singers' and groupies. These puppets had glamorous dresses, braided hair, and a tonne of soul.
More dancing ensued as Michael Stipe broke out 'Shiny Happy Monsters'.
The song went back and forth from the monsters being happy
*cue upbeat music and tonnes of very unique dance moves*
to being sad
*bright little eyes staring at the screen, pouts beginning to form*
but in the end happiness prevailed!
My little monsters and I were shiny & happy by the end of the song.
Even though they were only 2 years old, I think that the three of us all learned that bad days will eventually turn into good. I realized that these kids, just beginning in the world, were teaching me more lessons everyday then any adult could.
We all went outside to play after the show ended and as they pranced around outside with brightly coloured toys and sunshine bouncing off their perfect faces, I was happy to have this amazing day brought to me by the number 4 and the letter M.

Comments on "Shiny Happy People"

 

Blogger Diana said ... (12:00 PM) : 

I love moments like this one. Actually, it's the moments like this one that are responsible for the fact that I blog at all; it's so easy to lose them as they're edged out by other, often "bigger" moments, but when you go back and read something like this later it all comes back.

You don't say if this really happened or not. If it did, what a great association with a prompt! And if it didn't, then what a wonderful imaginative leap. Thanks for posting this.

 

Blogger silentobserver said ... (12:28 PM) : 

D ~ Thank you for your comments!
It did actually happen, steamed spinach and all. I miss those kids terribly and the prompt sparked the memory before I even opened the e-mail!
Thanks for the prompts and the venue for posting!

 

Blogger lodgerlow said ... (3:52 PM) : 

"My little monsters and I were shiny & happy by the end of the song."

Priceless! I also liked the lovely little image at the end: "...sunshine bouncing off their perfect faces,".

 

Blogger silentobserver said ... (9:31 AM) : 

LL, thank you. The sunshine image was the only way I could think of explaining how illuminated they looked.. I had some trouble with the first few tries at this b/c there was no way to show cuteness of that magnitude in written form.

 

post a comment