First Drafts is a collaborative blog aimed at providing writers with a place to share their work on any subject they like.

(Near-) daily writing prompts are emailed to you to provide guidance or inspiration.

To sign up to First Drafts and to start receiving the writing prompts click here.

For previous writing prompts click here to visit the archives and choose any subject that inspires.

The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Present

I bought her a present once. A Christmas present. An early Christmas present.

I was not, could not be, present when she received her present.

I was not present to see her face as she opened it. I was not present to see her smile, not present to see her eyes gleam, not present to see her pick up her present for the first time.

I will not ever be present when she presents her present to the world, demonstrating her skill and love.

I will not ever be present to see if she plays her present, not ever present to see what she can do with it, not present to watch her learn, not present to see her explore her gift.

But I bought her a present. A present for her gift and love. I know she loved it. Even though I was not present.

Comments on "Present"

 

Blogger Diana said ... (5:51 PM) : 

Good wordplay, SL!

 

Blogger Tami said ... (12:51 PM) : 

Very nice SL! I found myself questioning what the present was and why you weren't present! Just like Diana, i thought your wordplay was great!

 

post a comment