First Drafts is a collaborative blog aimed at providing writers with a place to share their work on any subject they like.

(Near-) daily writing prompts are emailed to you to provide guidance or inspiration.

To sign up to First Drafts and to start receiving the writing prompts click here.

For previous writing prompts click here to visit the archives and choose any subject that inspires.

The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists

Friday, April 14, 2006

Four in one . . .

In the back of his mind he couldn't help thinking about her legs. Great legs.

He'd always been a leg man. His favourite body part. On women, that is. No breasts for him. Not that he had anything against breasts – soft, warm. They were okay, but legs . . . Now that's where a man's fantasy could really run wild. Long, slinky, smooth – lips and tongue caressing ankle, inner curves of the calf to inner knee to inner thigh to . . . Stop! He really had to get a grip. He was helping her change the tire, for godsakes. For all he knew, she had a six foot five, linebacker of a boyfriend ready to crack his cranium on the nearest light pole.

"That should do it. Just make sure you get to a garage as soon as possible. The spare's just temporary. It'll probably feel a little bumpy, but should do the job till you get home. You want me to follow you out of here? It's not the best part of town. I mean, I live here and all, but these few blocks - it's not the safest place for someone like . . . , well, for women on their own."

"Yeah, it is kind of scuzzy," no attempt at pretence.

"So how'd you end up here? Wrong turn? Get lost or something?"

Flicking back her ponytail, she turned to face him. "Not really. You really want to know? It's kind of stupid. But my friend said LA's a town of freeways. No one goes anywhere except by freeway. She just came back from visiting her family in Oregon and she says LA's abnormal. She said no one even knows the different neighbourhoods here – unless they happen to live there. So we thought a good way to find out what's around us would be to go places by city streets. Who knew I'd get a flat?"

"So, you're slumming."

Red-faced, she blurted, "No, no. Just the opposite. I wanted to see for myself what's around. I mean, I met you didn't I?"

He wondered if that was an invitation. He took a breath, "Well, now that you’re here, you want to go for a coffee? That is unless you have a boyfriend waiting or something."

"No, I really have to get going."

Figures, he thought. Oh well, my intentions were dubious, at best.

She got in her car, long legs giving a tantalizing last tease, and turned on the ignition.

He called out, "I can still follow you out to the freeway entrance if you'd like."

She turned to look at him, a slow smile forming at the corners of her mouth, "You know what? I changed my mind."

The four: body part, dubious intentions, slumming, changed mind

Comments on "Four in one . . ."

 

Blogger Diana said ... (10:11 PM) : 

Well, call me impressed. That's really neat how you did that...

Now I'm going to look at all my backed up prompts and see if any go together. ;o)

 

Blogger Tami said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Great idea! I would have never thought to do that. It flows really well! Nice job!

 

post a comment