First Drafts is a collaborative blog aimed at providing writers with a place to share their work on any subject they like.

(Near-) daily writing prompts are emailed to you to provide guidance or inspiration.

To sign up to First Drafts and to start receiving the writing prompts click here.

For previous writing prompts click here to visit the archives and choose any subject that inspires.

The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Unnatural Light

[I wrote this quite a while ago. Sentimental stuff, but I thought I'd share it.]

I waited patiently in the underground carpark. I’d been waiting – impatiently - for weeks for this moment and I wanted to make sure I remembered every last second of it. It’s moments such as these that define our lives, that provide the standards by which all other moments are measured. I’d waited so long for this. I wasn’t going to let it pass without savouring it, memorising it and, later, remembering it.

I watched as she drove down the ramp, looking around for a space. She smiled when she saw me and I couldn’t help but smile back. She reversed into a vacant space and I walked slowly over to the car from my own.

As I approached she was busying herself with sorting her things after a long drive. I stopped a few feet short of the car and again waited. She looked round and saw me standing there. As she did my heart soared, lifted by the love I have for her. Finally, eventually, she opened the door and stepped out.

I observed every movement, committing it to memory. Her denim clad leg stepping on to the concrete, her arm pushing the door open, her delicate fingers holding the handle, the briefest glimpse of cleavage as she leaned to get out, her slender neck as she looked up at me, her tender lips, curving again into a smile, her small yet perfectly formed nose crinkling slightly as she did, her dark eyes, sparkling, bright, deep and full, I was sure, of happiness. And her hair. Dark, so fine and soft, tossed back as she stood, at last out of the car.

I studied her a moment longer, hoping my smile and my eyes were conveying even a modicum of the overwhelming joy I felt at seeing her. We stepped toward each other as one and finally she was in my arms, where she belongs, where she should always dwell. We kissed, a soft, gentle kiss. Our lips met, the tenderest of kisses, her eyes closed, her arms around my waist pulling me tight against her, mine around her shoulders, my hands in her hair.

Reluctantly I pulled away to look at her. She looked up at me, expectantly, and there, in the unnatural light of an underground carpark, I gazed at a Goddess – my Goddess - and the image burned itself into my mind. No, I would never forget this moment.

Comments on "Unnatural Light"

 

Blogger ell said ... (8:04 PM) : 

Sentimental, but lovely just the same. Makes me want to ask, "Do you still feel the same way about her?"

 

Blogger SL said ... (8:11 PM) : 

Yes.

 

post a comment