First Drafts is a collaborative blog aimed at providing writers with a place to share their work on any subject they like.

(Near-) daily writing prompts are emailed to you to provide guidance or inspiration.

To sign up to First Drafts and to start receiving the writing prompts click here.

For previous writing prompts click here to visit the archives and choose any subject that inspires.

The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Strength

The tip of my cigarette was the only light in the room. It burned brighter as I took a drag, my lips quivering around the filter tip. I felt the smoke fill my lungs, a satisfying, calming effect. My eyes never left the window, I sat perfectly still.

Why do I do this? Because I'm good at it. One of the best.

People milled around on the wet pavement below, coming and going from whatever events the night had in store for them. Cars drove by, bringing with them the pleasing sound of tyres on wet road. I kept my eyes on the hotel lobby entrance opposite.

Who am I? Nobody. I like to keep it that way.

There was movement in the lobby. Shadows spilling onto the street as someone - or several people - approached the brass and glass revolving door. As it started to turn I tightened my grip and leaned closer. A man emerged, checked both ways down the street and turned back to the door, nodding.

How did I become this? Nature takes its course. This is my nature.

Two more figures emerged, again scanning the street in both directions. The one in the middle. Wearing the expensive overcoat and carrying the briefcase. That's him. I shifted position slightly, getting comfortable. I sharpened my focus. And squeezed. There was barely a kick.

What am I? If you knew, you wouldn't know anything much longer.

The man dropped silently. It was a full three seconds before his associates noticed. Then all hell broke loose as one covered the man with his own body, too late. The other pulled a hand gun and adopted a practiced crouched position, his eyes darting around the street, windows and alleyways. I squeezed twice more. The man with the gun fell first, into the gutter, his face in the running water. The second man didn't move. He remained shielding his already dead boss, joining him wherever souls go. It's not something I concern myself with.

Where do I find the strength to do this? Well, it's true what they say. The dollar truly is almighty. And I am one of the best.

Comments on "Strength"

 

Blogger lodgerlow said ... (4:24 PM) : 

...pleasing sound of tires

Oh come onnnnnnn SL. Tires??

Where did you learn to spell? Come now... toss your American dictionary aside and remember where you are ;-)

p.s. I liked this: "It's not something I concern myself with."

 

Blogger SL said ... (12:14 AM) : 

You know, I knew something was wrong with it somewhere, and I couldn't figure it out!

Muchos gracias.

 

post a comment