First Drafts is a collaborative blog aimed at providing writers with a place to share their work on any subject they like.

(Near-) daily writing prompts are emailed to you to provide guidance or inspiration.

To sign up to First Drafts and to start receiving the writing prompts click here.

For previous writing prompts click here to visit the archives and choose any subject that inspires.

The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I Have Stayed Too Long

I've learned how dangerous feeling comfortable can be.

I found a niche, and I clicked myself into place. I belonged there; I knew it. I was doing what I have known all my life I was meant to do, and I settled in. I could handle this. I could thrive, and I did thrive. My writing got better. I buried myself into researching and composing and editing.

I had a brief period when I thought that maybe I should leave. Maybe I was ready to move on. No, I thought, This feels good. This feels safe.

Being comfortable and relaxed blinded me to what was going on. I didn't notice whispers, rumors, and groups gathering. I thought I couldn't be touched. I was wrong.

Becuase I stayed too long, they knew what else I could do. They knew I was capable of the monotonous tasks I'd done before. I could do repetitive, and I was good at that too. So the comfort was taken away from me.

Now I choke and smother on the trite. I scour for ways to release the creativity. I gag on New Age business dogma as they try to force it down my throat. I abhor the thought of making their bottom line soar. I make no difference anymore.

I have stayed too long.

Comments on "I Have Stayed Too Long"

 

Blogger SL said ... (12:34 AM) : 

Yes!

That almost precisely describes my current situation. Enjoyed that.

 

Blogger Carla said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I'm sure you realize how frustrating it is then! I agonized over posting it on my blog, but I did. I have the paranoia of being dooced, but I hate censoring myself because of The Powers That Be.

 

post a comment