First Drafts is a collaborative blog aimed at providing writers with a place to share their work on any subject they like.

(Near-) daily writing prompts are emailed to you to provide guidance or inspiration.

To sign up to First Drafts and to start receiving the writing prompts click here.

For previous writing prompts click here to visit the archives and choose any subject that inspires.

The Free Directory of Independent Writers and Artists

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Train

Everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance, but I wonder how many have been on a train and listened to the sounds from inside.

How many have experienced the rhythmic vibration that imbeds itself deep in your brain; the side-to-side kachunking jostle; the click, click, clicking of the rails; the bumping up and down in your seat; and the whoosh – silence, whoosh - silence as the train passes stationary objects. The experience reminds me of that school sing-along song, “The Wheels on a Bus”.

I love train sounds. It makes me feel like I’m really going somewhere -- that it requires work to get from point A to point B. None of the quiet hum of an air-conditioned car or drone of a plane for me. I like the rattle and clacking of a train.

Comments on "Train"

 

Blogger Diana said ... (4:24 PM) : 

I realize as I read this that I really haven't been on many trains. That middle paragraph where you start describing the "sense-memories," that would be a great thing to elaborate on because more and more people are going to be unfamiliar with train travel and it's important to have a sense of it.

Really good, ell.

 

post a comment